Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Setting Up 3D Views For Levels in Revit

When starting a new project in Revit, I typically create 3D views for each level in the project. To do this I use the View Cube to assist me in creating the views. I typically do not care for the View Cube for orbiting or adjusting my views. I usually use my wheel on my mouse with the shift key to orbit, but I have found the View Cube to be very helpful for this particular task.

To set up a 3D view for each level, you could manually achieve this by turning on the Section Box in the Properties of the view and use the grips to drag the Section Box to display just the desired level. This is very cumbersome and sometimes hard to get the grips to be where you want them to be.

An easier, quicker way to create a 3D view for each level is to use the Orient to View option in the View Cube right click menu. This can be done by opening a 3D view and hovering over the House icon on the View Cube, and right clicking to open the right-click menu.


In the right-click menu, select Orient to a View, Floor Plans, and then select the desired floor plan to orient to.

The view will automatically crop the view using the Section Box to match the View Range for the view that was selected. It will also rotate the view to view it from the Top direction. You can orbit the view any direction you want but the view is now cropped to match the floor plan's View Range.


I typically create a 3D view for each level in my project. These are very useful, especially once the building is totally closed in and it is hard to see inside of it.


Via appliedsoftware blog

No comments: